Voicemail number?

Voicemail number?

Postby scurvy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm

For the year or so I've had Straight Talk service, I've always been able to press & hold 1 to get voicemail - no password or prompts necessary.

Some time over the weekend, that changed. Now when I press & hold 1, I get a message that the number is no longer in service. When I dial *86, I get a different audio error message - 'the service you are attempting to use has been restricted or unavailable'. Only by dialing my own number am I able to check my voicemail, but it requires me to put in my password, which is annoying.

In the call settings for my new-to-me but unlocked HTC HD7S, I have a telephone number listed as the voicemail number in the 317 area code (odd as I am in Chicago). Can someone at Straight Talk please tell me the correct number to put in there, so it goes directly to my voicemail by pressing & holding 1?

I was on the phone with tech support for half an hour today, who eventually told me that if pressing & holding the 1 key didn't get me to my voicemail, I had to dial my own number and enter my password (also accomplished by entering my own telephone number as . I attempted to impress upon Alan that it was entirely unacceptable to make me go through more steps & keypresses with something as basic as voicemail but it did not seem to motivate him much.
scurvy

Re: Voicemail number?

Postby Aroseleip » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 am

I can't even get into mine. My phone threw a fit when I tried setting up vm and now I can not my messages.
Aroseleip

Postby Lindsay_ST » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:29 am

Hi scurvy. My name is Straight Talk Lindsay. We are sorry for the trouble. Let me help you. We need to take this issue offline, so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thank you.
Lindsay_ST

Postby Lindsay_ST » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:31 am

Hi Aroseleip. My name is Straight Talk Lindsay. We are sorry for the trouble. Let me help you. We need to take this issue offline, so I can address it further. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thank you.
Lindsay_ST

Postby scurvy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Working out a solution with Straight Talk Lindsay, allegedly... haven't received a reply to my PM back to her at noon.
scurvy

Postby scurvy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Problem solved.

I put the SIM back into my old phone (HTC Magic/T-Mobile MyTouch 3G), found the setting for the voicemail number and copied it down (it's in the 805 area code). Swapped the SIM card back into the new-to-me phone (HTC HD7S) and put that number in the 'voicemail number' option. It now works correctly, as designed.

I only wish I'd thought of doing this instead of taking 5 days to call Straight Talk tech support or register here... neither of those actually gave me the number.
scurvy

Return to Post your questions and get answers about talking and texting, and setting up voicemail with your Straight Talk.