What you need to know about Straight Talk's BYOP SIM program

Thank you for visiting the Straight Talk Forum, your one-stop resource for Straight Talk information.

What you need to know about Straight Talk's BYOP SIM program

Postby UncleN00b » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:50 pm

EVERY STRAIGHT TALK SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE AND STRAIGHT TALK SIM CARD CUSTOMER SHOULD TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION. VERIFY IT WITH STRAIGHT TALK REPRESENTATIVES IF YOU HAVE TO, AND YOU WILL KNOW IT IS CORRECT AND VALID.

STRAIGHT TALK GSM AND UMTS SERVICE (that is to say AT&T compatible 2G and 3G service) BOTH OPERATE AT 850MHz and 1900MHz. Therefore, anyone interested in using ST's BYOP SIM program should verify BOTH THE 2G AND 3G SPECIFICATIONS of their phone.

In my case with a Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 phone, it supports 2G connectivity on GSM @ 850MHz / 900MHz / 1800MHz / 1900MHz. However, it only supports 3G connectivity on UMTS @ 900MHz / 2100MHz. Since Straight Talk only supports both GSM AND UMTS @ 850MHz and 1900MHz, this Samsung Galaxy Mini S5570 phone WILL NEVER WORK ON STRAIGHT TALK'S 3G SERVICE. EVER. It will only work as 2G (EDGE). :)

I located the specifications about my phone on gsmarena.com. Here is the exact page for my phone: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ ... 0-3725.php . I highly recommend this site as a resource for looking up just about every phone ever made on Earth.

Another website that is great for looking up specifications for just about every phone ever invented on Earth is phonearena.com as well. Here is the exact page for my Samsung phone on that site as well: http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsun ... ini_id5147 . However, I think gsmarena has organized their information much better.

Hope this helps everyone when selecting a phone for this program or in trying to troubleshoot their current phone. If you are experiencing data connectivity problems, look up the specifications of your phone. If your phone does not support BOTH 850MHz AND 1900MHz on 2G specifications AS WELL AS 3G specifications, you are likely to experience connectivity and service problems.
UncleN00b

Return to Welcome