few questions for ST SIM

few questions for ST SIM

Postby sirius » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:36 pm

So I have an old Iphone 3gs, unlocked from AT&T.

I had activated this phone with ST using a tmobile type sim card, and everything aside from 3G and MMS worked fine.

I ported that phone number to a ST AT&T type sim card so that I could use the 3G service that I'm paying for, and have now lost the ability to edit my APN settings.

So I'm curious to know why Straighttalk prevents customers from editing their own APN settings, and also why straighttalk is not allowing MMS as well.

These are features that both attract, as well as keep your customers happy. After all the trouble I've gone through in the past week with customer service issues, I truly believe I was better off paying the extra 30 bucks a month for AT&T service. At least everything worked.

So where is my ability to edit my own APN settings, and where is my MMS !!
sirius

Re: few questions for ST SIM

Postby sirius » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:40 pm

... and I also get a message that I am not subscribed to a cellular data service.

Really ? Is this the best service that straight talk can up with ?

If i cant resolve mys issues by the end of today, I will gladly reactivate my service with AT&T for each of the five phones in my household,
sirius

Postby sirius » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:35 pm

nothing ? Really ?

Is this too technical a problem that it can not be addressed in an acceptable amount of time ?
sirius

Postby sirius » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:37 pm

excellent job in the customer service department folks.

you have just chauffeured a 220 dollar a month customer back to AT&T.

At least they can provide the service they advertise, albeit at twice the cost, but well worth it to know you can pick up a smartphone and have it actually work.

after taking four days to simply add a phone to my control panel, 32 hours to port one phone number to a ST sim card, no support for mms, and a less than casual attitude toward answering customers in a correct and timely manner, I've had all the disappointment I can stand.
sirius

Postby GarySK » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 pm

As far as cellular data goes, you have to setup the APN, which you cannot do manually. Enable wifi on your iPhone, open up Safari, and go to m.straighttalksim.com . Scroll down and open the selection Data/APN Settings, then T-Mobile Data Settings, then IPHONE. Click on "Install" to download the profile and install it. May have to reboot your phone ( I didn't but I have an iPhone 4). That will get data working.

As far as your other 2 issues, it is ATT that is blocking your ability to edit the APNs manually and it is ATT's contract with Straighttalk that is blocking MMS. Go to HowardsForum and look for the mms hack.
GarySK

Postby sirius » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:36 pm

I just checked out the info at howards, thank you for the link ,it is much appreciated. I see there are methods available to get mms to function, but I really shouldnt have to jailbreak a phone just to get a service working, and with the luck I've been having here, I'm sure St would consider that as some kind of TOS breach, and suspend my service... not that I intend on keeping it. I would much rather spend my hard earned money on for service that I dont have to spend five days questioning. At least I know all the features of my phone will work correctly, even if it is more costly. I've wasted over 25 hours this week on this forum, just trying to sort out simple issues that should have been available to me in a customer control panel.

For the love of god, it's a smartphone ... of course customers are going to expect all features to work as intended.

Although I find ST customer service reps to be extremely polite, I find the company policies and methods in the CS dept to be far less than acceptable. There are thousands of threads on this forum pertaining to the same service problems, which is completely unnecessary. almost 10,000 threads, and 57,000+ posts, and everyone of them a simple, basic issue that could have been solved By ST offering correct, useful information that is easily accessible on the web site.

Honest advertising, a useful FAQ, and clearly defined policies seem to be missing, and would completely eliminate the need for 57,000+ posts all pertaining to either data/mms not functioning, or someones unlimited data being exceeded or abused.

/end rant
sirius

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general Straight Talk discussions.