Blackberry Curve and Straight Talk

Blackberry Curve and Straight Talk

Postby Jeff » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:19 pm

I have an AT&T BlackBerry Curve 8520 that I'd like to now use on Straight Talk. I've read conflicting things about whether BlackBerrys can be used on Straight Talk, though. If I purchase a new Straight Talk SIM Card and a $45/month Unlimited Service Plan, will I be able to talk/text and use mobile web with this BlackBerry?

Thanks.
Jeff

Re: Blackberry Curve and Straight Talk

Postby Stephanie_ST » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Hi Jeff. As long as it is an AT&T, T-Mobile compatible GSM phone or an unlocked domestic GSM phone, it will work with the BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) Program. To view the program, please visit www.straighttalkSIM.com. Thanks!
Stephanie_ST

Re: Blackberry Curve and Straight Talk

Postby Jeff » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:42 pm

For those reading this post/answer wanting to use a BlackBerry - specifically a BlackBerry Curve 8520 - with Straight Talk, here is my experience. Voice and text work great but Straight Talk data cannot be used on BlackBerry phones. I installed/activated a new SIM and activated a $45/month unlimited plan, but when you try to change the APN settings, that's where you have problems. The BlackBerry Curve - can't speak to other BlackBerrys - won't allow the APN changes that Straight Talk provides to get data to work.

If someone has had a different experience, or Straight Talk has a solution, please pass along. Otherwise, if you want data, don't try using a BlackBerry on Straight Talk.
Jeff

Return to Getting started, adding Airtime and other general Straight Talk discussions.